How does LIVI work?
With LIVI you can see a registered GP by video on your mobile phone or tablet. The GP can offer medical advice for symptoms that do not require a physical examination. First download the LIVI app and sign up. You will then be asked to select your current NHS GP practice. This is so we can see if you are eligible for the free NHS LIVI service that we offer in partnership with local GP practices. If you are, you can continue to book an NHS appointment.
Don’t worry if you’re not – you can still see a registered GP by video through the LIVI private service. Or if, you prefer to use an NHS service, please visit your usual NHS GP practice.
To book an appointment, follow the steps in the app. You can choose to see the next available doctor (usually within minutes) or book a specific time in the next seven days.
Then fill out the symptom form as prompted. You also have the option to attach photos to help the doctor more accurately diagnose your condition. If the GP believes that you are in need of medicine or further care, you will receive a prescription or referral. The GPs can write medical fit (sick) notes for issues where a physical examination is not required for the note. It is up to each doctor to make an individual assessment of you as a patient.
How do I sign up on the LIVI app?
- Download the LIVI app on your mobile device from the App Store or Google Play. It is available in iOS (iPhone and iPad) or Android.
- Click 'Sign in' and enter your mobile phone number, you will then receive a text with a verification code which you will then enter into the app.
- You will then be asked to fill in a some basic personal details.
How do I register myself on the LIVI app?
Search for, and select your GP practice
- If it’s your first time using LIVI you will be asked to search for and select your NHS GP practice. This is so we can see if you are eligible for the free NHS LIVI service that we offer in partnership with local GP practices.
- You can search by name, town or postcode. Click on your GP practice to select it. The app will tell you if you are eligible for our NHS service, in partnership with your GP practice.
N.B. We will not ask you to deregister or leave your current surgery.
- If you are eligible for our NHS service, you will be able to book and have a free NHS GP appointment through LIVI.
- If you aren’t eligible, the app will let you book an appointment through our LIVI private service.
If you believe your NHS GP surgery is one of LIVI partner practices and you cannot find it on the app please contact LIVI support on 033 0808 2074.
Details and identity verification
- Add your full name, sex, date of birth and home address.
- Then follow the steps to verify your identity. You will be required to add a photographic ID document (passport, driving licence or UK residence card) and take a selfie photograph.
How do I sign in on the LIVI app?
- Open the app and press the Sign in button on the app.
- If you have Touch ID on your phone, you will automatically be asked to use Touch ID to sign in. This is to keep the app secure. If you don’t have it enabled you will enter the app directly. If you haven’t set up Touch ID or have problems with it you disable it in your phone Settings. Find instructions to do this in iOS here.
How do I sign out of the LIVI app?
- Enter the More tab at the bottom right of the LIVI app.
- Click on Settings and then Sign out.
Why do I need to do an identity check?
Verifying your identity with photographic ID guarantees your LIVI account and medical records are kept secure. LIVI uses Onfido to carry out the identity check.
Can I use my account for my spouse / partner?
No, unfortunately not. Family members over 16 years old must sign up for their own LIVI account and log in with their own details and ID to book a GP consultation at LIVI.
Which symptoms can LIVI help with?
LIVI can be used for medical symptoms and problems that do not require physical examination for diagnosis. Not all health problems are well-suited for diagnosis and treatment in a virtual setting.
When booking an appointment in the LIVI app you will see a list of the most common symptoms that patients seek help for with LIVI.
Is it suitable to seek care through LIVI for all medical problems?
There may be some cases where the LIVI service is not recommended:
- You have a symptom / disorder that requires physical examination, for example you need to have your chest listened to, a joint (e.g. knee or shoulder) examined, or provide a sample.
- You are in need of controlled drugs. These are not prescribed via LIVI.
- You are in need of medicines containing pregabalin (Lyrica) or gabapentin (Neurontin).
- You want to start treatment that requires long-term and regular medical contact.
- You are in need of a fit (sick) note that may last for a long time.
Can I use LIVI abroad?
No, unfortunately LIVI currently cannot offer patients a consultation when they are abroad.
Can I book an appointment on behalf of my child?
You can seek care for your child if they are older than 2 years and under 16 through LIVI. To book an appointment for your child between the age of 2-16 years, log in to the LIVI app and then choose if you want to book a drop in appointment or schedule an appointment at a specific time. Thereafter you can choose to book the appointment for your child.
Children must be present during the appointment, just like any other appointment at a physical GP surgery.
Children who are over 16 years old can have their own LIVI account.
How much does it cost to use LIVI?
The LIVI app is free to download from the App Store or Google Play.
LIVI works with local NHS GP surgeries to provide an NHS GP service. If you are
registered with one of our local NHS surgeries, the LIVI service is free of charge.
You can find out if you are registered with one of our local surgeries here.
If you are using the LIVI private service, your first appointment will be free of charge
with appointments after that costing £49 per consultation. This is inclusive of all outcomes (i.e. prescriptions, referrals, fit notes).
How do I pay for my LIVI private appointment?
You can pay for your LIVI private appointment directly in the app, using a debit or credit card.
Please note the payment will be taken directly from your bank account when you confirm the booking.
If you have a private insurance policy you may be able to claim back the cost of the consultation. Please check this with your insurance provider before booking a private LIVI appointment.
I have a question about a refund for the private LIVI service
If you would like to speak to us about a refund for a private LIVI consultation please contact LIVI Support over the phone on 033 0808 2074 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
LIVI Support is open from 9am to 5pm on weekdays, but closed on weekends and holidays.
Please note, any refund issued may take 5-10 business days to be credited back to your bank account.
Contact information and opening hours for LIVI support
Questions about seeking medical advice
LIVI Support cannot provide any general information around health and diseases or give out medical advice. LIVI Support can help you with any questions about how to use our app.
For medical questions and advice we recommend you to download the LIVI app and book an appointment with one of the GPs.
Who should I contact with a complaint or concern?